Karan Johar has confirmed to a tabloid that he is,looking to make the sequel to the 2001 blockbuster Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham. The sequel will star the original cast of Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, Hrithik Roshan and Kareena Kapoor.
“It’s a workable idea. I am no longer averse to it. It would be a bold step if I make it,” Karan told Mumbai Mirror. “It’s very strange. But all the six main members of the cast are as dear to me now as they were 10 years ago when I made the film. I’m sure they’re as charged about the sequel as I am,” said Karan, after he revealed his plans about the sequel.
“Amitabh made Karan realise that a sequel was not only possible but also desirable. Mr Bachchan also said that only Karan could pull it off,” a media source told the tabloid. Amitabh Bachchan has finally got his way, it seems.
The 69-year-old actor has blogged in the past about how he would like to see the Raichand family saga taken forward. He has recently revealed that the sequel would look at the brothers’ life after the split. “It would be a story on the growth of the brothers and the problems that arise because of their independent understanding and working of the business empire of the father, a split within them and so on..”
It may be that Big B’s insistence led Karan to succumb to the idea of a sequel. But what could have been more enticing is the fact that sequels such as Double Dhamaal, Murder 2 and Golmaal have done much better than most original films.
We’ll wait to see whether the Raichand family can pull it off, again!
- Video: Amitabh Bachchan on CNN Talk Asia Show
- Bachchans shooting in New Delhi for Paa
- Snapshots: Amitabh Bachchan at KBC 5 Announcement Event
- Amitabh Bachchan is on Twitter!
- Photo Shoots: Shah Rukh Khan, Kajol, Madhuri Dixit, Amitabh Bachchan for Filmfare Magazine (March 2011)
- Photo Shoots: Amitabh Bachchan for Filmfare Magazine (Aug 2009)
- Poster: Teen Patti (Amitabh Bachchan, Ben Kingsley)
- Exclusive! Amitabh Bachchan’s look in Paa
- Photo Shoots: Amitabh Bachchan for Bbuddah Hoga Tera Baap (May 2011)
- Snapshot: Amitabh Bachchan at Ajmer Sharif